How much of ‘just being yourself’ is too much in worship?
It has been said that “True preaching is the communication ofÂ divine truth through human personality in the power of the Holy Spirit”
For better or worse, personality is huge a factor in the effectiveness of a worship leader.Â With that in mind, here’s some worship leader personna’s you may want to avoid. Sadly, I’ve exhibited many of these traits my self on occasion.
By the way, I hope you’ll help add to or refine this list in the comments below. Here we go.
Worship Leader Personality Types To Avoid
1. I’m Clueless. Resembles ‘I Don’t Know What I’m Doing’ and closely related to ‘I’m an Airhead’. Sometimes confused with the ‘Space Cadet’. Where are we going? She has no idea.
2. I Really Want to Be Rock Star, this church gig is just my launching pad to something bigger and better. I’m just passing through.
3. I Used to be a Rock Star, but now I’m just doing this church gig.
4. I really want to be a Preacher, but I’m Stuck in a Worship Leader’s Body. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk ….
5. The Intercessor Disguised As A Worship Leader. Actually, this is a pretty good one to be.
6. The Romantic, I’m sooooooooooooo in loooooove with Yoooooouuuuuuuuu
7. The Driver – I’m here to hype you up! Hey you – worship better, now!
8. The Cheerleader – Come on everybody, lets make some noise out there!
9. The Emoter – he laughs, he crys, he shouts, he jumps, he’s waaaaay over the top.
10. The Silent Type. Don’t know what to say? Too afraid to say anything? Who knows? Says nothing, keeps you guessing.
Have you been one of these guys or gals?
I’ve been many of them. One example, the Silent Type. When I first started leading in “the big church” I was scared out of my mind to say anything. But over time as I gained more experience and skills, I started to open up, then you couldn’t get me to shut up. You need the right balance of talking, and that takes wisdom and discernment.
It is an art to know how much “personality” to exert. See also this related post on discernment: The Standard Answer.
Question: What would you add to these descriptions? What personality types would you add? See you in the comments!