On my missions trip to the Balkans, there have been consistent questions regarding issues of character for worship team members.
The bible speaks of character requirements for leaders which apply in the worship ministry context.
Everyone involved in the worship team – drummer, bass, keys, guitar, singers – is a worship leader. Their role is to lead the gathered community through music to encounter God.
It is an important role. It is primarily a spiritual role. God is worshiped in spirit (John 4:24), the musical role is secondary to the spiritual role.
Therefore issues of character really matter.
I shared thoughts from these notes during my last class in Cluj, Romania.
Biblical Character Necessary for Worship Teams & Leaders
These guidelines are the same as for all other followers of Jesus Christ.
1. Clean Hands = Moral Purity.
- Keeping the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20)
- Psalm 24:3 â€œWho may ascend the hill of the Lord? He who has clean hands and a pure heartâ€.
- We can not have secret sin.
- “Everything that is secret will be brought out into the open. Everything that is hidden will be uncovered. 3 What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight. What you have whispered to someone behind closed doors will be shouted from the rooftops.”Â Luke 12:2
2. Pure Heart.
- “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” Matthew 5: 8
- You can not lead if you can not see the Lord.
- â€œAll of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 1 Peter 5:5
- “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”Â Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.â€ James 4:6-7
“Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;Â guide me in your truth and teach me..” Psalm 25:4
5. Study to show yourself approved.
- “Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely.” 1 Timothy 4:15-16
- “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. ” 2 Tim 2:5
6. Under Authority.
- “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.” Hebrews 13:17
- “Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority” 1 Peter 2:13
- “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6
These guidelines are not exclusive to worship folks. In Part 2, we’ll look at Spiritual & Musical Qualifications Unique For modern day “Levites” â€“ Singers & Musicians
Over to you.
What would you add or change regarding character requirements for worship team?